Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Few Updates

Update 1:
I finally finished Act 3 for my Deodorant lesson. I hope you check it out and can give me some feedback; I think it could be much better with your help. If nothing else, check out how long it took to use 5 sticks of deodorant. Mathematical Modeling should really be at the forefront of this task. It might appear linear, but I would bet a year's supply of deodorant that an adolescent's deodorant use will be far different than mine. I also guarantee students will think of variables ranging from climate to age to geographical location to genetics to more. I think you'll have some excellent conversations with the deodorant task. My favorite part is the sequel: How many sticks of deodorant would one use in a lifetime?

Way back when this task first started, I opened up a little estimation competition in the comments at 101qs. Don't listen to a word Nathan Kraft says. The person with the closest guess would win an Estimation 180 prize. With so many close estimates, the following gentlemen will be the first to receive the new Estimation 180 stickers, hot off the press!

Congratulations to:
1st place: Chris Robinson (May 14, 2014)
2nd place: Robert Kaplinsky (May 5, 2014)
2nd place: Michael Fenton (May 15, 2014)
3rd place: James Cleveland (May 3, 2014)

Update 2:
Estimation 180 will be getting a facelift and other updates over the summer. Here are a few things to look out for:
  • New logo
  • New fields for entering student estimates
  • Clean spreadsheets containing "other estimates"
  • Updated Lessons
  • Search by Categories
  • Sentence frames for student reasoning
I'm most excited about the last update; sentence frames. I occasionally browse over student responses and notice many students entered "I guessed." I think it would be extremely helpful for teachers to provide their students with sentence frames in order to better articulate their reasoning. I will be focusing on this tool in upcoming presentations and workshops.

The new logo was done by my niece. I love her simple design, the two 180 degree arrows, the metric reference, and her idea to transform me into a stick man. That reminds me, I still owe her a pizza!

I hope to get a few t-shirts made too. You can sport them at your next PLC, department meeting, casual Friday, or math conference. Any takers?

Update 3:
I've accepted a Teacher On Special Assignment (TOSA) position with my district for next year. It's a bittersweet feeling at this point. On one hand, I'm very excited because I'll be working at various secondary sites throughout my district, collaborating with other math teachers, helping design lessons and implementing various technology. My official title will be a Digital Learning Coach. I hope to seek advice from people like John Stevens, who have been doing this for some time now. As I pack up my room, I already miss my own classroom and students. However, I look forward to learning a great deal from the teachers I will be fortunate to work with and the students I'll be able to interact with at each site.

Updates,
243

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, Andrew! This is amazing. I can understand the bittersweet quality of the feeling. But nothing has to be forever.

    Congratulations on an exciting new phase of your journey!

    Elizabeth (@cheesemonkeysf)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'll miss my math team too. They rock!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new position, Andrew!
    The updates to Estimation 180 sound great. I have loved using it with my students this year and look forward to seeing the improvements. And, I would love a t-shirt... as I'm sure all the cool kids will, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I'm so glad you were able to use Estimation 180 with your students. I appreciate all your blog posts and reflections. I'll let you know when the shirts are available.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new gig - being a "digital learning coach" sounds like a great opportunity and perfect title to go with it. Not having "your kids" will be tough at first (speaking from experience there) but you'll be amazed at what you'll learn when you get to work with other teachers and their students. And... sign me up for a shirt! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind wishes. I'll definitely need to pick your brain in the upcoming months. I'll let you know when the shirts are available.

      Delete
  4. Andrew,

    Congrats (albeit bittersweetly) on the new gig. Yes, we need to chat some time about this and how it's going affect the next couple years of your life. I'm extremely happy for you and math teachers in your district. You know how to get in touch with me. Oh, and those shirts...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it John. We'll get in touch soon. Those shirts...... where you going with that one?

      Delete
    2. I dig them. You're not going to be able to retire off of one shirt style, my friend. Time for bumper stickers, hats, socks, earrings... But really, I'll be filling out the order form when it gets sent out. Well done, sit.

      Delete
  5. Andrew
    Your district is so lucky to have you and I'm sure they are excited about having you in this new role. I'll look forward to hearing more about it this summer. Love the new logo and t-shirts too! Let me know when they are ready - I'd love to show one off!
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois,

      I look forward to our summer work as well. I'll let you know about the shirts.

      Delete
  6. I love your work! I would definitely support you by:
    1. Using Estimation 180. :)
    2. Wearing a shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Austin!

      I appreciate your support and will let you know about those shirts.

      Delete
    2. Congrats! Estimation180 was one of my students favorite parts of class this year, some of them made some huge gains and I account it to using your resources! Simple format, engaging and huge impact on students - thank you.

      Keep us posted on the shirts - definitely want to order one... want to be one of the cool kids!

      Delete
  7. Andrew
    Just wanted to let you know I appreciate your estimation 180 and your blog! I stop in frequently and am always inspired! Best wishes on this next season of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew, like so many other teachers, estimation180 is now an embedded part of our lessons. Congrats on becoming a coach! Let me know about the shirts too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Andrew for your work and brainchild Estimation 180. I came across it at the end of last year, and plan to spend more time implementing it with my 8th graders this year. (They thrive on competition between each other, and themselves as well!). Have a great year with teaching adults, (though, they'll probably remind you of your students with their enthusiasm, humor and questions, too ). Look forward to reading up on those experiences with your blogs and tweets as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind wishes Mrs. B.
      I look forward to it too.

      Delete